Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nominon- Monumentomb [2010]



SweDeath Metallers Nominon released their newest this month on Deathgasm. My advice? Go see this band on tour with Infinite Obscure and Quinta Essentia. I love Swede metal. This album is not an exception. The whole album is dirty, filthy Swedish Death metal. THe production is great and remains true to the OSDM vibe. No clicky, no protools-y sound, just good, slightly under produced DM. Although Nominon claimed in Decibel that they didn't "pussy out and play death n roll," I can definitely hear some n'roll in Monumentomb. Certainly not enough for a genre switch, but listen, it's there. I think it's a Swede thing. Maybe they don't realize they're doing it.

The album does get off to a rather meh start with Mantra Reverse, but picks up after that. Archified picks up the pace and includes a little Shining (SWE) esque vocal line. Kevorkian's Wrath piqued my interest because it's the only (?) song on the album that takes any sort of stance (and I agree). Although, now I'm just curious about assisted suicide laws in Sweden. Damn. In any case, the album is fucking solid, but the real stand out is the last track, Wrath of Shiva. It's got a new Bloodbath sort of vibe, and it's fucking angry.

The whole album is headbang-y goodness, but it certainly didn't reinvent the wheel. It's heavy, it's dark, dirty, catchy at times. I think a live show would be awesome windmill territory.

Best tracks: Wrath of Shiva

7.5/10 LG Petrovs for Nominon's newest
-PG

No comments:

Post a Comment